This semester i decided to continue my summer internship, keep my other job and take five courses! However last semester i was walking on the second floor when a club was there recruiting members. After interacting i promised i would visit their website and even enthusiastically said yes to not just the possiblility of becoming a member but an officer. I thought wow how cool is dat?!!
Now after going to ONE meeting but having several phones calls every other day, text messages, emails EVERY and ANY means of technological communications invented from mostly the President, but not limited to, i'm beginning to thing that this isnt go to be such a career building move as i thought but more like academic suicide or comparably worst...me throwing in the towel (damn i've already included it on my resume!!!!)
My current plans so for has been to ignore 97-98% of calls, listen voicemails, check emails (this is relatively painfree) and JUST SAY NO.... to ridiculous things suchs as having a club meeting on a Sunday. But how long can i...will i last.......
Tuesday, September 18, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I believe if you really do not wish to be part of the organization, you should simply tell the President and opt you out from any of their marketing tools (email,phone calls, text message). Both parties are wasting their time. He/She could be investing their time in another individual who is more interested while you could be doing what you enjoy instead of concentrating on ignoring calls. If I was the President, I would get the hint that you are no longer interested if you continued to ignore my calls. But I guess some people are very persistent which is good to a certain extent. I've have had people come up to my organization and said they are very interested and they'll come back next semester and we would call them and see if they are still interested. If they tell us that I am not longer interested or this is not what I expected, we respect their decision and welcome them if they ever find that interest again sometime down the road. I believe that would be the better approach to trying to expand your organization because if I forced someone to join, and they don't want to, there is no benefit to any party.
that's very interesting Regina. Howver the club is a great opportunity to develop a lot of skills that would be assets in the workplace to me later, hence the reason i joined, but i just dont think that all of these "contacts" are necessary. I do what i have to do but i dont like a call every minute telling me one thing over and over. it reminds me of my mother's approach of standing over me while i'm watching the tv until i get up and do what she told me to do.i think a different leadership style should be adopted, maybe more Y than X. i like to have freedom to do what i have to do and in the end i always get the job done. however i hate people pestering. in short i think the presdient should lighten up, i know what they are trying to do is very important and that for some people you do have to constantly supervise them and try to get them to do what they're suppose to but that's not me in connection to this, which i view as an investment. wisdom requires people to be observant and adaptive, and if they see that this method of approach isnt working/ coming across negatively they should be smart and try another.
Post a Comment