Tuesday, November 27, 2007

McDonald's Management...burgers and fries

At 8:16pm I entered a McDonald’s in Brooklyn and proceeded straight to the cash register, for the place was practically empty. I smiled to myself as I though about what I was about to do and what this lady cashier would think of me.
A deep breathe….can I have a hamburger with FOUR pickles and a small fries with NO salt, I stated in a clear loud-ish voice just to make sure I did exactly what the assignment required and that she heard what I said and that the words I placed emphasis on stood out. Four pickles? She asked. Yes. It must be exactly four pickles and also NO salt on my fries I repeated. She was a bit perplexed. I thought it was because she was wondering, what kind of request is that? Four pickles! I held my breathe. But as it turns out she was unsure of how to punch it into the machine. She slowly began to tell me that my order of FOUR pickles would be considered extra and asked if that was ok, I asked how many do you normally put on the burgers then quickly added it doesn’t matter I just NEED FOUR pickles on my burger.
The supervisor who was by the fries but who was listening came over with a small fries in his hands and asked if and who had requested a small fries no salt. As it turns out he was about to salt the fries when I was placing my order and had stopped, listened, then filled the order. I therefore got my fries in about 30 seconds.
As the supervisor was there the cashier asked how she should enter my request of FOUR pickles into the machine. He responded simply punch this in, and showed it to her. The total time taken to get my fries and burger was 1 minute 8 seconds. As I was collecting my change I sheepishly asked, can I have a packet of salt?
I stayed in McDonalds to eat my food and quickly took my burger out to count how many pickles I had. I must say I really expected to get exactly FOUR pickles, however I got 8 ½ pickles on my burger! And I wasn’t even charged extra (if that’s what they do). I now had to salt my own fries and I much say they weren’t as tasty when self-salted.
In total it took three people to complete my order. The cashier, supervisor and a preparer and the cashier was quite, surprising, regular in that she did not become frustrated nor impatient with me, she was calm and give me her full, unhurried attention.
Because my order was not correct to the T, communication in McDonalds could be improved between the cashiers and the preparers. However I believe because of the machine they use it’s hard to show “special” orders such as FOUR pickles, as I do not believe there is any button on the cashier’s machine to state such a fixed amount, the closest maybe an extra pickle’s button which may explain why I got 8 ½ pickles. However co-ordination between staff, order preparation and customer service was commendable.
As a consultant to McDonalds the only suggestion I would make to them would be in the communications department. For orders outside the range of the standard options given on their machine they should speak to the preparation staff verbally stating the customized order. If everyone was suppose to do this then it may be chaotic but then realistically it’s not every minute of every hour that “special” orders arise so then it would not be so difficult to deal with them and make sure they are done as stipulated.

No comments: